Monday, July 11, 2005

Coincidence?

I suppose that there are certain ideas that are bound to be repeated in the course of imagination and creativity. For example, I wonder how many other people who hadn't heard of Edison came up with the idea for the light bulb. Once in a while I'll get an idea for something, only to find out later on that someone else either thought of it first or marketed it first. I once had the idea that using the same technology that makes Transition lenses go dark when you go outside could be applied to contact lenses, so that you wouldn't have to put anything on in order to have shaded vision. But someone told me it was already done somewhere, so I chalked it up to coincidence.

Then I was reading the comics in yesterday's paper, and I came across one of my favorites, Foxtrot. When I got to the punchline, I knew that another one of my ideas had been imagined by somebody else. Take a look for yourself.



Foxtrot, July 10, 2005


My short-lived comic, The Green Sheet Chronicles,
drawn and posted May 26, 2003

Strange, eh?

22 Talked Back:

At July 11, 2005 at 3:40:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

Maybe when it comes to comics, great minds think alike.

 

At July 11, 2005 at 3:53:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

sue the b*astards! Edison had to defend his patents, his company became GE. You could become Marvel Comics!

(When I moved to St. Louis, the first week that I was here I heard a radio commercial that I had written for a company in West Texas. It was word-for-word, except for the name of the company. Being plagiarized is an awful, helpless feeling.)

 

At July 11, 2005 at 4:24:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I like how you used an asterisk to mask the word bastards, but still used the 'a' it was supposed to replace :)

As for plagiarism, although I know that the copyright laws cover any work once it's in tangible form, I don't necessarily have any way of proving that I created mine first, or more importantly, that I was the first person to create it.

I'm 100% confident that Bill Amend independently thought of this gag, and I don't think a suit be worth pursuing. It may get me a little (very little) press, but other than that it'd be written off a coincidence. Like Scott says, maybe great minds think alike. If I was a professional cartoonist, I'm sure I'd take a different stance, but for now, it's just interesting to observe.

Of course, if next week's comic has Jason flying around in a roller coaster with a steering wheel, I'm gonna soak that ba*sta*rd for millions :)

 

At July 11, 2005 at 4:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

if you will the millions, remember that I am your best friend, and that ashman has never really liked you

 

At July 11, 2005 at 6:06:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

Jim- heynow :)

Stan- I would come down this week if it wasn't for our quarterly meeting that we have to go to, which is tomorrow on my day off. Plus I need to do a little work on the Nova before I make that drive. I promise soon!!!

 

At July 11, 2005 at 6:36:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I'd probably need millions to pay ashman back for all of the rides he gave me to work years ago... because gas ain't cheap when you drive a Nova...

 

At July 11, 2005 at 6:38:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

If I get millions, Jim, I'll fly to St. Louis and hire you as my personal tour guide, you can show me the way to the Arch Monolith, and take me on a McDonald's tour.

 

At July 11, 2005 at 6:47:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

Stan- why do I miss working at A.P. back when we work there?

You owe me NOTHING for giving you a lift to work all those years ago, but when you make it big, remember me :)

 

At July 11, 2005 at 7:12:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

what's a Nova?

 

At July 11, 2005 at 7:20:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

Jim- What's a Nova?? That hurts. It's a Chevy. Mine is a 1973 Chevy Nova SS.

 

At July 11, 2005 at 8:28:00 PM CDT, Blogger meagan said...

Hi Stan.

I just noticed you have Imago Dei linked on your blog. Are you going to that church now? I am very impressed with their design.

love meagan

 

At July 11, 2005 at 8:47:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I've gone there on a few Sunday nights lately.

 

At July 11, 2005 at 8:51:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

This is a Nova, Jim.

Ha Ha, Scott! :)

 

At July 11, 2005 at 8:56:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

don't pick on Scott, he's my friend, I'm flying up this weekend to see him and his Nova -- whatever A.P. was, it sure must not have paid very good if he's driving a 32 yr old car -- do you really collect business cards?

 

At July 12, 2005 at 12:30:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

You must have googled my name...I collected them about 6 years ago, and it was written up in the paper, which made me realize how weird it was, which led me to dump all 3,000 cards into a trash bag and try to forget about it.

 

At July 12, 2005 at 12:48:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

actually, if you follow enough links for KOST (LA) radio, you eventually get to Stan Kost who collects business cards for radio and TV stations -- this happens when it's a rare rainy day in July

 

At July 12, 2005 at 10:06:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

So you got my rain, huh? I sent it to you the other day...the postage was terribly high, luckily I just won a multimillion dollar lawsuit against the makers of Joel and Steve Toothpaste :)

 

At July 12, 2005 at 2:47:00 PM CDT, Blogger Jim said...

even more rain today, courtesy of Hurricane Dennis --

-- At your suggestion, I did Google you last night -- read the background on Joel and Steve, wow do you have an imagination, I hope you get to use it at work!

 

At July 13, 2005 at 11:05:00 AM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

I too Google your name (I was bored) and came across Rick Emerson's site, he said you did a "Simpson caricature" for him. Looks like it was some years back, do you still have a copy of it? I don't think I ever saw it. If you do, could you post it?

 

At July 13, 2005 at 11:23:00 AM CDT, Blogger stan said...

Yeah, I'll upload it and link to it when I'm on the home computer, tonight or tomorrow...

 

At July 13, 2005 at 6:14:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scott said...

Stan, so are basically done with updates with your comic? I find it's the only online comic I read.

-SA

 

At July 13, 2005 at 7:00:00 PM CDT, Blogger stan said...

I just don't know. I wrote months and months worth of "scripts" for the thing, but I find that I just don't want to sit down and draw them out anymore. I want to start working on the "new" strip, the one that will be tailor-made for newspapers and syndicate submission, but something tells me that I need to finish the current storylines up first. That's the big speedbump I need to get over.

You should start reading Superosity, White Ninja, and Beaver and Steve, at the very least. Those are really good ones. They're all linked on the right side of this blog.

 

Okay, now it's your turn | Home